Background

Sunday, November 3, 2013

WANGY

I used the word "wangy" to describe the way that vegetable soup tasted on the second day because of the cabbage in it. In a little survey I found that nobody I surveyed outside my family had ever heard the word.

Of course, my brothers and I all know what that word means to us, but it's probably just another "Gladys Word" which we inherited from our mother!

Although it rhymes with tangy, in our usage, it means that the taste is "off" or "tainted".

I checked on the internet and there's no dictionary which gives a definition for WANGY except for my beloved URBAN DICTIONARY (CLICK HERE)! Although their definitions have to do with food, it's not exactly the same as ours. I guess I have heard WANG used, as in the third definition. I remember the song Wang Wang Blues and also the musical group Wang Chung (their name was derived from the first note of the Chinese musical scale) but not WANGY!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leftover cabbage--definitely WANGY! ML