Background

Friday, October 16, 2015

ANOTHER BRILLIANT COCA COLA MARKETING PLOY

When I first saw the bottles of Coke with names on them, I thought, "What an ingenious marketing strategy." It was indeed brilliant as I found myself willing to pay $1.69 for a bottle of Coke with "Sue" emblazoned on it. Naturally, it was easy to find "Sue" on a bottle of Coke but then began my obsession with finding the names of friends and family on Coke bottles. I found one with the name of my friend's son "Trevor" on it. After that there was "Derek", "Gretchen", "Tracey", "Les", "Chris", "Patty", "Judy", "Michael", et. al.

After receiving her bottle, my friend Judy asked if I would be on the lookout for one for her granddaughter "Audrey". She thought that having the other granddaughter's name would be impossible as it is "Kaylee". Yes, I haven't located that one but I told Judy that there were now bottles marked "Cheerleader", "MVP" and other sports references. Hey, every kid is an "MVP"!

Of course I NEVER expected to find one with GERALD on it, and I haven't, but since I was able to find one with "GERALDO" on it, my husband is now honorarily Hispanic!

Yesterday, Gerald, Judy, and I were having lunch with a friend named "Angela" and I presented a bottle to her with her name on it. Angela agreed that it was a brilliant marketing strategy by Coca Cola. The waitress asked, "Do you want a glass of ice for that?" and she said that she wasn't going to DRINK it!

That is what everyone tells me: they do not DRINK the bottles of Coke which have their name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU for my bottle of Coke with my name on it!

Do you know how many times I have EVER found my name on anything? NEVER, except for the damned record!

MONA LISA