Background

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

GIVING UP DRINKING COKE IS THE EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD........


Recently, in conversation with a woman I haven't seen since 1968, the most memorable thing she recalled about me was my Coca Cola habit. That is a sad commentary about me!

I understand addiction.  I am an addict. I do not say this with any humor.  I have been addicted to Coca Cola since I was a child.  I recognize my addictive personality. I am empathetic with people who are addicted to smoking and other addictions which do not harm others.

In April, 1985, Coca Cola committed what is considered to be one the biggest blunders in the business world by bringing out "New Coke" with plans to retire the original Coke (NOW known as "Classic Coke").  When the announcement was made, I, along with many others, began stockpiling Coca Cola.

To illustrate the extent of my addiction:  I was scheduled to go to California for a week on Company business.  In my carry-on bag I packed one change of underwear and cosmetics, and in my other luggage--two large bags--I packed ALL Coca Cola, because I was afraid I couldn't buy Coca Cola when I arrived there.  I knew I could buy anything else there, but, as my brother said, I was worried about "scoring Coke"!  By that time, there was not a store in Washington Court House with any original Coca Cola remaining on its shelves;  I had gone to every store which could possibly carry Coca Cola.  I had cases of Coca Cola stored in the house, under the beds and also in the garages, arranged by expiration date.

A furor erupted from other obviously-addicted consumers and after what seemed like an eternity (77 days), Coca Cola finally understood the popularity of the original Coke and reversed its plan. 


On ABC, TV Anchor Peter Jennings interrupted the soap opera General Hospital to announce the return of the original formula Coca Cola.

In 2014, I was ill and gave up drinking Coke for six months and lost a lot of weight.  I'd given up drinking Coke several other times in my life, but it was like the Mark Twain quote on giving up smoking: "Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world; I know because I've done it thousands of times."   I do not drink as much Coke as I did in the past, but I recognize that it is still an addiction.

CLICK HERE to read the article:  COCA COLA'S BIG BLUNDER.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you still sneak in a can at the restaurants that dare serve Pepsi products? ML