Background

Monday, November 20, 2017

FIELDS OF GOLD

My favorite tree--the ginkgo--has shed its leaves and the yard is a field of gold.  Looking out the window, I began singing Fields of Gold, substituting "ginkgo" rather than Sting's intended "barley".

My brother said, "You know, lying in the golden barley sounds much more entrancing rather than lying in the ginkgo."  I answered, "The ginkgo would smell so much better."  He wondered, "Where would you find a field of barley to check?"

I realized that I knew little about barley, other than it is very healthful and I like it in soup.  After reading several sites about barley, I plan to add more barley dishes to our menus, but definitely not lie in it.

Listen to Sting:

"Will you stay with me, will you be my love?
Among the fields of barley?
We'll fight the sun in his jealous sky,
As we lie in fields of gold."

No comments: