Background

Sunday, November 5, 2017

HE DON'T

Mona Lisa called and said, "We haven't seen a CRINGE--FAYETTE COUNTY TALK recently;  is everybody behaving?"

I said, "Let me think about it."

Later, Mona Lisa asked my opinion of local candidates for office and I said, "I couldn't possibly vote for someone for School Board who says 'He don't'."  She asked, "Why don't you run?"  

Recently, during a meeting, a college-educated (well, a college graduate;  but obviously not very well-educated) associate of mine said "have went" rather than "have gone";  the person holds a Master's Degree.

Other cringe-inducing examples:

The widespread use of "I FEEL BADLY" instead of the correct "I feel bad" (Do they also say "I feel sadly" or "I feel madly"? Do they have problems with the digits of their hands working correctly? Do they think "badly" sounds better than "bad"?)

Using the word "PENULTIMATE" incorrectly. Penultimate is incorrectly used to mean the greatest or the best when it actually means "next to the last".

"FORTE" (it is correctly pronounced "FORT" instead of "FOR TAY" when used in the phrase, "That's my forte."

"HOI POLLOI" (I have recently heard two network commentators incorrectly use this term to mean a superior class when in fact it means the opposite.)

The use of the phrase "GOOD, BAD, OR INDIFFERENT" (so which is it, folks?)

"YOU KNOW." (to which I answer, "No, I don't know.")

"AWESOME" (in a three-hour period on Monday, a young person of my acquaintance used the word 14 times.  I think he's adjectivally deprived.) Last night I heard a middle-aged woman say it.

"LIKE" (young people using it as an adjective instead of a verb)

"HE GOES, SHE GOES" (instead of he said or she said)

"IT IS WHAT IT IS" (of course it IS)

"WHATEVER!" (usually from teenage girls)

"IRREGARDLESS" (why do people feel compelled to add the extra IR?)

"I HEARD THAT!" (I'm always glad to know their auditory system is good.)

"STEP UP TO THE PLATE" (what game ARE they playing?)

"LEARN" (instead of teach)

"SUPPOSEBLY" (instead of supposedly)

"ME GOING" (instead of "my going"--Gerald says this is "picky")

AND my favorite: a local political candidate who used the word "IDEAL" when he should have said "IDEA";  it's truly amazing how many times that particular error arises in Fayette County communications.

No comments: