Background

Sunday, November 26, 2017

NATIONAL COOKIE DAY


Today is NATIONAL COOKIE DAY.  I'll be making preparations to make cookies for the Fayette County Historical Society's Annual Cookie Sale  The sale will be held on December 2 at the Fayette County Museum.  Come support the fundraiser and enjoy baked goods from numerous Fayette County bakers.



.
When I was thirteen, my cousin's wife gave me my first cookbook which was Betty Crocker's Cooky Book.   I often wondered about the spelling--cooky--rather than cookie.  

That summer I made every cookie from the recipes in the book, including unusual ones such as "jumbles" and "hermits" but the favorite one enjoyed by my discerning family  was snickerdoodles.  In the intervening years I made them so often they became known as "Suzydoodles",  my first "signature" dish!

                   SUZYDOODLES

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Crisco
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups Gold Medal all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Cream together 1 1/2 cups sugar, butter, and Crisco.  Add eggs, one at a time, and mix.  Sift flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, and salt together and add to the sugar, butter, and Crisco mixture.  Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls.  Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, coating well.  Place the  balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes until done.  Remove to wire rack.  

Delicious.

No comments: