Background

Friday, January 22, 2010

C R I N G E

I cringe each time I see a local person being interviewed by a Columbus television station. How can our Fayette County accent be so bad when we live barely fifty miles from civilized sounds? Do I sound like that? Yes, unfortunately, I do! Here are some examples of words from "Fay-yette" County:





FAYETTE COUNTY PRONUNCIATION NORMAL PRONUNCIATION

Warshington Washington
Ohiuh Ohio
Wrinch rinse
Feesh fish
Weesh wish
Deesh dish
Ungyun onion
Oysture oyster
Spayshul special
Prayshush precious
Vunnerable vulnerable

If you have never seen Jeff Foxworthy's "You Know You're From Ohio If....", check it out on the internet.
It's hilarious. I've added a few gems from Fayette County:


You know you're from Fayette County if they say "Fay-yette County for Fayette County
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. "mango" for green pepper
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. "ideal" for idea
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. "pike" for route or highway
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. "I reckon"

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Ending sentences with unnecessary prepositions: e.g.: "Where's my coat at?"