Background

Friday, January 22, 2010

SLUMBER PARTY


When my husband's twin grandnieces were ready to turn 13, they were visiting at my home and they told me that they wanted to have a slumber party to celebrate their birthday. I said that I had always wanted to have a slumber party when I was a girl, but I had never been able to do those kinds of things. One of them excitedly said, "We could have it HERE."

The next day their mother called and asked, "Were you serious about the Twins having a slumber party at your house?" Of course I had NOT been serious about it, but I didn't miss a beat and answered, "I'd love to have the slumber party at my house!" and afterwards, I was so glad I did it.

I sent out invitations which read, "Aron and Angie Henry and little Suzy Shirkey-Raypole request your presence at their combined slumber party!" I sent the invitations to my friends and told them that they had to wear nightgowns and fuzzy slippers. The twins invited many of their friends.

On the evening of the party, five of my friends came. My friend Bobbi was the most original as she drove to my house, already dressed in her nightgown, fuzzy slippers and curlers in her hair! Another friend asked, "Are you crazy?" but changed into a nightgown at my house A third friend fell asleep at 9:00 p.m. and the other two crashed before midnight. They demanded the beds and the girls were on couches and sleeping bags.

The party lasted all night long and there were prizes for all the events. We had contests and prizes for singing, dancing, makeup, hairdos, cooking, screaming, and a scavenger hunt and the GRAND PRIZE was to be awarded to the one who stayed awake the longest which meant that I had to stay up ALL night to know which one was awake the longest. We watched movies, made popcorn balls, Rice Krispie treats, brownies and ordered pizza.

The next day, my husband, while looking around at all of the debris, asked, "NOW, will you learn to quit whining about all those things you didn't get to do when you were a kid?"

Years later, a young woman came up to me and said, "I won the makeup contest at your slumber party!" I respionded, "And I won the screaming contest!"

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Now, aren't you glad you did it?