Background

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GHIZERING


As I have written before, my brother Norman is like the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi", as he thinks his soups are superior to any others. Last year, he and I entered a "Soup Cook-Off" Fundraiser. In the judging, my soup received second place! First place was awarded to "Seafood Bisque". Norman did not win, although, truthfully, his soup was better than mine or the first place winner.

One Saturday, we attended a political rally and the "Seafood Bisque" winner was there. Earlier in the day, she had hosted a brunch for the one of the candidates. I asked how her event fared and she said, "It was very nice; you should have come and brought some SOUP!"

Her rapier wit was hilarious and I told her she added insult to injury! I told her Jews had a word for that and she asked, "What--CHUTZPAH?" I said, "No, GHIZERING--that means you put the knife in and TURN!"

Mel Brooks' definition of chutzpah: a guy who kills his parents and then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he's an orphan! I have heard Mel Brooks use the word "ghizering", but I can't find it in any Yiddish dictionaries; thus I'm unsure of the spelling.

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Dear "boubala":

Well, we know you're a "balabusta"; but "bei mir bist du shayn"!

Shicksa