Friday, June 18, 2010
The next SHIRKEY-RAYPOLE EVENT: THE ANNUAL SALSA THROWDOWN (it can't be a COOK-OFF because the salsa is fresh).
Norman believes that his salsa is superior to mine. As soon as there are enough "REAL" tomatoes available to make salsa, I will announce the date of the throwdown.
I THROW DOWN the gauntlet. How many will pick up the challenge?
Anyone wishing to participate should get in contact with me.
SALSA THROWDOWN RULES
1. No entry fee
2. Everyone is eligible to enter EXCEPT Bobby Flay.
3. All salsa must be fresh, not cooked; any recipe can be used.
4. An acceptance of responsibility must be signed by contestants in case of injury to consumers because of heat of the salsa (this is known as the Habanero Clause).
5. To assure contestants' anonymity and to prevent the advantage of "PIE" (PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING) all entries must be presented in the same kind of containers (I will provide the containers) and be labeled numerically.
6. The panel of judges will be comprised of three salsa aficionados; to guarantee fairness, the judges will be approved by the entrants in an arbitration-like selection process.
7. Voting must be by secret ballot this year.
PETULANCE WARNING: all contestants must affirm that they will behave in a sportsman-like manner. One year, Lori McDonald made her choice and one of the losers refused to share salsa with Lori the remainder of the salsa season!