Background

Monday, May 14, 2012

BETE NOIR


My brother has a wicked sense of humor (OK, some say "SICK"), but as I've written before, his bete noir is with people who use "air quotes"!

Yesterday, another family member used the odious "air quotes" and my brother asked, quite earnestly, "When did you receive your diagnosis?" The other family member answered, "What do you mean?" My brother answered, still very earnestly, "That neurological disorder." The other person said, "I still don't know what you mean." Of course there is no way that my brother would lift his hands to demonstrate the "air quotes", but instead said, "Those peculiar gestures you're making with your fingers--is that some kind of tic?" Naturally, the other person felt offended and answered, "You knew exactly what I meant!" to which my brother answered, "But I didn't know you were linguistically challenged and couldn't express yourself in an intelligent manner!"

"Oh, you just think you're so smart." to which my brother responded, "SOME have said!"

I just e-mailed the other family member the Victor Borge punctuation routine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to look up bete noir; if I can pronounce it right, I'm going to use it!