Background

Saturday, May 19, 2012

SHANTY IRISH


Recently a friend wondered why I like cut flowers so much. I explained that it was the difference between "Shanty Irish" and "Lace Curtain Irish". Growing up "Shanty Irish", I definitely aspired to be "Lace Curtain Irish".




The terms "Shanty Irish" and "Lace Curtain Irish" are seldom used in Ireland, but mostly in the United States. "Shanty Irish" was a derogatory term used to describe poor Irish immigrants. The origin of the word "shanty" is unknown, but is presumed to originate from the Irish "sean tig" which means "old house". In Ireland people like "Shanty Irish" are known as "culchies" and "bogtrotters", which are both derogatory terms.


"Lace Curtain Irish" people might have been just as poor as the "Shanty Irish", but they wanted to be considered more respectable. They were called that because they put up lace curtains for the sake of appearance. "Lace Curtain Irish" is usually said with disdain.





As a girl, I can remember going to a friend's home, and her mother had REAL flowers in a bouquet on the dining room table. I told myself, "When I grow up, I'll have REAL flowers in my home."








Today is exhilarating: I have bouquets of French lilacs, rhododendron, clematis, roses, peonies, irises, and mock orange gracing the different rooms. I especially savor the flowers of spring and summer. {Les said that ONLY I would use the word "savor" to describe feelings for flowers. I explained that savor is also properly used to describe smell as well as taste!} I cherish exquisite vases and containers, and especially ones with flowers on them which I can use to display matching flowers!


My favorite display I have ever done was to have a bouquet of flowers resembling a painting hanging directly above it, but NOBODY noticed! Gerald comforted me by saying, "Maybe most people are not so detail-oriented, Sweetheart!"







My brother Norman explains the difference between the "Shanty Irish " and the "Lace Curtain Irish":

The LACE CURTAIN IRISH move the dishes before they pee in the sink!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Norman is so naughty!