Background

Friday, May 4, 2012

THE URBAN DICTIONARY


I love The Urban Dictionary! It is snarky, sarcastic and wonky; all those characteristics I find useful! In 2004, I used the word "wonk" in the presence of a woman who actually labeled herself a "wordsmith" and I knew what the word meant and had seen it used in The New Republic magazine, but when I was challenged by her, I couldn't find the damned word in any dictionary at the time! My nephew said, "Try the Urban Dictionary--they're very WONKY like you!" My "wordsmith" haughtily replied that she didn't use "slang" words!

This same woman had never heard the word "vet" used to describe a thorough examination or evaluation as in "vetting political candidates", although it is NOT a slang word.

"WONK" is now in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary!

The Urban Dictionary was founded in 1999 by Aaron Peckham who was a Freshman student at California Polytechnic University. The definitions in The Urban Dictionary are slang, ethnic and cultural phrases not found in standard dictionaries. Users of the Dictionary may submit definitions without registering, but must provide a valid e-mail address.

Les said I should register some of our mother's unique words and phrases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to subscribe!