Background

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

DO I DISLIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE ANSWER THEIR OWN RHETORICAL QUESTIONS?




The answer is YES!


My brother just told me that after "AIR QUOTES" the second most annoying habit of people is when they answer their own rhetorical questions; e.g.:

"Do I [blah, blah, blah--you can insert any annoying question here--blah, blah, blah]?" and then they'll answer their own questions with something akin to, "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't."

One seldom has the opportunity to interrupt their verbal stream, as these offenders usually string together several of these nettling rhetorical questions in a row!

Rhetorical questions CAN be interesting but ONLY if they're left UNANSWERED! I rather like clear, concise, declaritive sentences and if people want to ask a REAL question, then dammit, I'd be glad to answer!

When did this vexing behavior begin? I blame Donald Rumsfeld for this appalling trend as he used to do it all the time at press conferences. [My favorite non sequitur by Rummy is "We don't know what we don't know!"]

Is there any way to stop the Rummy-regurgitators? I fear not!

1 comment:

Arminta said...

Joe Scarborough.....I really can't stand him and have actually stopped watching Morning Joe on a regular basis because I can't stand to listen to his self-rightous interruptions. And Mika is so lame and wishy-washy she drives me crazy too. I like Willie and Barnicle best. I wish they were the main hosts.