Background

Friday, May 11, 2012

CROTCHETY


Les said that I'm getting CROTCHETY! I answered, "That makes me sound OLD!" He answered, "At least I didn't say you're IRASCIBLE!"


This made me start to thinking about words which are usually just associated with those who are OLD:

biddy
hag
codger
geezer
curmudgeon
grumpy
cantankerous
crusty
crabby

My friend Gretchen added:

fogey
crow
battle-axe
decrepit
feeble
goat
fart
ancient
fossil

but my favorite from her is:

HOARY

Les just chimed in with:

coot
crone
slattern
garrulous

We discussed that a great number of these are gender-specific:

FEMALE: hag, crone, battle-axe , crow, slattern, garrulous
MALE: coot, codger, hoary

So WHY are there more derogatory ones toward women? OOPS! Being CROTCHETY!


2 comments:

Gail said...

Sue, if you remember, when you called, I gave you "old fart."

Sue's News said...

So did Gretchen!