Background

Saturday, January 9, 2016

"BE WELL" AND OTHER RIDICULOUS PLATITUDES

If I am guilty of uttering platitudes, euphemisms, myths, or other BS, please admonish me!

I cringe at funerals when I hear people say things like "She's better off now.";   "He looks so natural.";  "He's in a better place.";  or "Things happen for a reason.".  I want to scream at the perpetrators, "NO! Things do NOT happen for a reason!"

I suppose they think their words are comforting, but their words make me want to scream at them, but I don't.  I think of a cliche "Wrong place, wrong time." to comfort myself and to prevent my screaming!

Being an inveterate list maker, I just compiled a list of the some annoying platitudes:


1.   Good things come to those who wait.
2.   It was meant to be.
3.   Time heals all wounds.
4.   Such is life.
5.   Forgive and forget.
6.   It is what it is.
7.   What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
8.   We must agree to disagree.
9.   Look on the bright side.
10. Have a blessed day.

A friend ends his lengthy telephone message with the silly phrase "BE WELL.".  I told him that it almost makes me vomit.  He said he thought it was "clever".  I told him, "I think the word you are searching for is platitudinous rather than clever!"

Read the article "EVERYTHING DOESN'T HAPPEN FOR A REASON:  http://unitedhumanists.com/2015/12/30/everything-doesnt-happen-for-a-reason-and-other-bullshit-platitudes/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should leave him a message: "Be well? That just made me sick!" ML