Background

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

FOREVER FLO?


Watching yet another commercial for Progressive Insurance, Les asked, "Boy, I wonder how rich Flo is?"

I said, "She probably gets residuals each time it shows; I think there's a union rate." I learned that Stephanie Courtney, the actress/comedian who portrays Flo received $500,000 in 2008 for the first year of her contract. I wonder if Stephanie receives residuals. Residuals are negotiated. I told Les that she has more than a million Twitter followers.

The first time I heard about residuals, I recall hearing Vivian Vance being interviewed and she said, "This is the house that residuals built." Ethel Mertz--rich! No wonder Vivian Vance did well after performing with Lucy in three different series.

I just heard that Flo has been named one of the top 10 female advertising "icons" of all time (CLICK HERE to see the article). When one is greatly identified with one character (Mr. Whipple, Madge, Josephine, Maytag Repairman, e.g.), it is probably difficult getting other work. However, I saw photos where Stephanie removed the pancake makeup, switched from that scarlet slash on her mouth, removed the headband, and dispensed with the "retro" hairdo, and she looked very different. She probably won't be FOREVER FLO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it true Mr. Whipple was squeezed to death? ML