Background

Thursday, January 24, 2013

PLUS CA CHANGE, PLUS C'EST LA MEME CHOSE


Of course, the French usually have an apt phrase for every situation, with "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose": "the more things change, the more they stay the same" being one of them.

I thought that kids not wearing coats in the winter was a local phenomenon, but today on Facebook, Susan, the daughter of my friend Patty, wrote that her boys won't wear coats--only HOODIES! Washington Court House is more than 50 miles away from Marysville; yesterday school was out and it was (B-R-R-R-R) very cold, but I saw five boys at the local Burger King, and they were obviously from a wrestling team, as one of them had on JUST a singlet with his pants. None of the five was wearing a coat, with four of them wearing just hoodies.

I replied to Susan that a friend of mine said that her son's excuse was that his coat was too big to fit in his school locker. I said that I guessed that was a better excuse than the usual refrain of "None of the other kids wear coats."

But, the more things change, the more they stay the same: when I went to school there was a "fad" NOT to wear a coat but just a turtleneck sweater UNDER our blouse! We certainly didn't want a coat to cause our ensemble not to be au courant! What price conformity?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever people complain about the boys' pants being down around their butts, I always tell about the pegged pants guys wore when I was a girl ML