Background

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

BOOK BANNING

A friend sent the accompanying article 15 Classic Children's Books That Have Been Banned In America. It lists banning of books from 1900 to the present day. CLICK HERE to read it.

The list is unbelievable! The Diary Of A Young Girl and Anne Frank literally (and I do mean literally!) changed my life! I have cherished Alice In Wonderland, The Wizard Of Oz, and Charlotte's Web all of my life and often quote them. I have given as gifts, books by Silverstein, Milne, Roald Dahl, Paterson, and Dr. Seuss, all of whom have been banned!

I recently wrote an article about the adulteration of Huckleberry Finn. See HERE. How dare they? I suppose that isn't as bad as banning it altogether, which has also happened. As a child I was allowed to read anything I wanted; I've written before about my brother Bode's house being a refuge--to get books one couldn't check out at the library-- (the "unexpurgated" edition of Lady Chatterley's Lover, e.g.).

Nobody was ever corrupted by a book!

I wouldn't even ban Mein Kampf!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From NORMAN: I wouldn't even ban the Bible!