Background

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

FOLDEROL

FOLDEROL: "trivial or nonsensical fuss."

A usually sagacious friend was visiting today and the following conversation ensued:

SHE: (said with some excitement) "SHE went to the hospital today!"

I: (of course I knew WHO she meant, but feigned ignorance) "WHO?"

SHE: "KATE!"

I: "Kate who?"

SHE: "KATE MIDDLETON."

I: (exclaiming): "Oh, my God, why are YOU interested?"

SHE: "It will be third in line."

I: "Don't you remember we fought a Revolution to get rid of those SOBs?"

I cannot believe the interest on "this side of the pond" (how veddy, veddy British of me!). I have no interest, just as I had no interest in the shenanigans of the grandparents and parents of the expectant father!

However, here is what I have learned from the latest folderol:

I NOW say "going to hospital" rather than the Americanese "going to THE hospital". Ah, the British still have an influence on me! A long time ago, I quit saying "going to THE university" and now say "going to university" ( just as I say "going to college" and "going to school"). However, people look at me strangely when I omit THE!

1 comment:

Arminta said...

I haven't followed the William and Kate story that closely but I enjoy hearing news about them. I think they are very respectable people who set a good example for others. It seems ok to me for people to admire them and they seem to handle it well. All of us can find some interest in trivial and nonsensical things sometimes. I mean, I read your BLOG everyday:)