Background

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

FAIRLY CERTAIN

I hate the County Fair! I know the statement is close to being unpatriotic in Fayette County, just as being critical of THE Ohio State University is! I went to the Fair only once when I was a child; it was when I was probably nine when my brother Bode took several of us kids.

Oh, my, at that time it was magical, thrilling, and exciting. I was entranced and I always wanted to go every year, but couldn't; I wanted to be in 4-H but I couldn't. I never went to the Fair again until I was 16 and my friend Cammy took me. I remember that two guys with whom I went to school were there with their dates and I recall the envy and wistfulness I felt, thinking that someday I would also be able to have a date to take me to the Fair.

That didn't happen until I was 25 and Gerald and I were engaged, and I still had the yearning to go to the Fair with a DATE! (We took two of my friend's daughters with us; one of the girls vomited on me during one of the rides; some "date"--right?) Gerald was laid-off from work at the time, and I paid for everything! (Some "date"--right?) We rode the rides, looked at the exhibits, ate the Fair Food, etc. Guess what? I hated the Fair! (So much for "envy" and "wistfulness"--right?) I was fairly certain I would never go to another fair.

However, I was guilt-tripped into volunteering at the Democratic booth at the County Fair in 2004. Each year since, I have been at the booth, usually for 5 evenings! I do this in loyalty to our cause but have no enjoyment except the camaraderie of being with fellow Democrats, registering people to vote, looking askance at the Republicans and Tea Party people as I walk through the building to our booth--and did I mention--the FAIR FOOD?

No envy, no wistfulness, no yearning--just 5 pounds gained!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate the Fair! ML