Background

Monday, October 7, 2013

APOSTROPHES

We received a graduation announcement and it had "THE RAYPOLE'S" on the envelope. Les handed it to me and said, "Perhaps it's a kindergarten graduation." Putting aside the lack of etiquette, I said, "She probably didn't know how to spell Gerald!"

I see the misuse of apostrophes every day! My favorite local one: "Jone's Auto Repair".

The one that perturbs me the most is the misuse of ITS and IT'S. Why is this so difficult?
"ITS or IT IS"! I see this mistake made repeatedly by another blogger.

Les said, "What if you really confused people by throwing in the literary term APOSTROPHE which always confused me?"

APOSTROPHE: "A variety of personification in which the dead, absent, or inanimate are addressed as if present."


EXAMPLES:

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are." (Talking to a star being an imaginary idea)

"Blue moon, you saw me standing alone." (Of course the moon can't see me)

IT'S fun, isn't IT, just for ITS own sake?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I SWEAR I could not have learned about APOSTROPHES in school: I just did a survey of 20 people, and YOU, Missy, are the only person who knows this! ML