Background

Sunday, October 6, 2013

MAYBE I'M THE STRANGE ONE

Just tell me--maybe I'm the strange one--but I just met another person who told me she uses the same bath towel all week long.

My brother Kenny said he used his bath towel all week long. He said, "You're clean after you take a bath, aren't you?" I asked, "But when is the moment in time when you decide that the towel is no longer clean? Why not use it FOREVER?"

Years ago I was talking to female employee and we were commiserating about all of the housework we had to do in addition to our regular work. I said, "Well, I have to do laundry every day" and she asked why and I said, "Well, there are three of us in the house so that's 3 towels, 3 washcloths, and 3 hand towels every day; there's almost a load right there." She asked, "Why do you wash the towels? You're clean after you take a shower." I asked her the same thing as I had my brother but she had no answer other than she was clean after bathing. Then she asked why we used hand towels. I asked, "What do you use to clean the sink and counter?" She said she used her washcloth. EWWWWW!

Being clean after bathing is everyone's rationale. After using a towel there are dead skin cells and other bacteria and a damp towel is a breeding ground for germs. Hanging a towel to dry in a humid bathroom is not a good idea.

After checking on Google at numerous sites, I find that I am in the minority. Here's the result of one survey:

People who use their bath towel once 47.0%
People who use their bath towel once or more every three days 24.8%
People who use their bath towel once or more a week 16.3%
People who use their bath towel once or more every two weeks 3.5%
People who use their bath towel once or more a month 1.7%
People who use their bath towel once or more every three months 0.5% .
People who use their bath towel once or more every six months 0.2%
People who use their bath towel once or more every year 0.6%
People who don't know 5.4%

How could they NOT know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use my towel ONCE; I figure that my washcloth and soap and water don't get EVERYTHING! ML