Background

Friday, May 7, 2010

GET YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW


We were having a serious meeting (in manufacturing parlance: "A Come to Jesus" meeting) and all of the management team was seated around a large, oval conference table. We all knew we were there to be "chewed out". The Plant Manager was livid and he said, "I've told you guys to get your ducks in a row." Of course, I'd heard that phrase before but then he continued with "or you'll have your penises on the table!" [Let's be frank--he didn't use the word penis!]

I was the only woman in the management team. I sat motionless, staring straight ahead, but I could feel the heat rising on my chest and neck and I knew my face was turning red and then I realized that all the men were looking at me for my reaction. The Plant Manager also noticed the averted eyes and he said, "All except you, Sue; you're not anatomically equipped!"

When I went home I asked my husband if he'd ever heard that statement used about the ducks and the organs on table and he said, "No, but it sounds pretty serious!"

Over the intervening years I have used the phrase, "I'm not anatomically equipped." whenever the subject of urinating contests would occur!

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Well, your fans think YOU are ballsy!