Background

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

HOLE IN THE WALL GANG


My friend Jennie and I were having lunch at Horney's Barbecue today and a group of motorcyclists came in. These were definitely NOT Hell's Angels types and they were wearing tee-shirts with "The Hole in The Wall Gang, Cincinnati, Oh" written on them.

As more of them filed into the restaurant, I asked, "Which one of you guys is Butch Cassidy?"

There wasn't a chuckle, a grin or even a murmur. However, not knowing WHEN to stop has always been one of my downfalls, so I launched further by saying, "Maybe the Sundance Kid is here!"

I thought that I was being rather amusing and then I thought that maybe they didn't get the reference. I continued, "Don't any of you know the movie?"

One of the guys turned around and said, "Of course we do, and we're members of the group that Paul Newman started to help kids, but I don't appreciate you making fun." Feeling upbraided, I answered, "Well, I WASN'T making fun, but if you go around with stuff written on your tee-shirts, don't you expect people to comment?" He said, "Well it sounded like you were making fun!" I answered, "And silly me, I thought you would appreciate someone's knowing the background of the Hole In The Wall Gang!"

I know when I wear my political buttons and clothing, I EXPECT comments--why else would I be wearing them? I pointed to the political button I was wearing and said, "I WANT people to ask me about this guy!"

As I got up to leave, there's a sign at the doorway which invites one to ring the bell if the service were good. I rang the bell and said to the Hole In The Wall Gang from Cincinnati, Oh, "I could have mentioned Kid Currie and Black Bart instead of Butch and Sundance!"

In the parking lot, Jennie and I looked at the motorcycles and all of them were Hondas except for one Harley-Davidson cycle! I said to Jennie, "Well, I guess that's what one should expect from Honda riders!"

2 comments:

Mona Lisa said...

My, oh, my, are you displaying some anti-Japanese manufacturing sentiment?

Sue's News said...

Mona Lisa,

No, just pro-Harley Davidson sentiment and a bit of sarcasm that they're not UP to Harley standards!