Background

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

GREEN BANANAS


I know you've all heard about green bananas and older people saying they won't buy green bananas, because they might not live long enough to have them ripen.

Recently, bananas were on sale at Kroger for 29 cents a pound. I wanted to take advantage of such a great sale and thought I would make fruit salad, banana bread, and banana cream pie, but of course, I was worried about the bananas ripening. I had bought Green Bags which were supposed to help.

At the store, I had put a nice yellow hand of bananas, along with a nice green hand of bananas, in my cart and as I was searching for a medium hand, I heard an older gentleman say to his wife, "Get the yellow bunch, you know I'm too old to get green bananas!" Even though I'd heard that remark many times before, I laughed out loud and told him I'd be using that line soon.

The young man who was weighing produce looked at the three of us quizzically, but kept on weighing bananas. After the older couple left, he began weighing my bananas and he said, "That man comes in here a lot and I think he's making jokes, but I don't get them; can you tell me what that was all about?" I told him that the line was funny because he meant he might not be around long enough to see green bananas turn to yellow. I could tell he wasn't very amused and I sighed and said, "Shaw was right--youth is wasted on the young! He asked, "Is that old humor too?"

2 comments:

skymetalsmith said...

Somehow humor is going to have to be high tech in order for the youth today to make sense of it. I had never heard that before either...but I think it is funny!

Mona Lisa said...

Ah, sweet bird of youth!