Background

Thursday, May 6, 2010

N.I.N.A.


My husband likes to razz me about my Irish heritage. One time, as I was preparing for a third and final interview, I realized that I needed to prepare some items to take with me. As my husband is much more proficient at typing on the computer, he generously volunteered to help me prepare my portfolio.

The following day as I was waiting nervously in the prospective employer's outer office, I opened my portfolio and noticed a Post-It note with "N.I.N.A." printed on it. I immediately recognized my husband's wicked humor. My husband knew how nervous I was about the final interview and he knew that the humor would relax me.

In the days of massive immigration to the United States by the Irish in the 1840's, many businesses posted signs with N.I.N.A. written on them meaning NO IRISH NEED APPLY.

I began giggling just as a man approached me and said, "Hi, I'm Bill Riley, it sure is nice to see a happy applicant." Recognizing his Irish surname, I told him the reason for my giggling. After the interview, Mr. Riley said, "Tell your husband he's wrong--you got the job!" When I got home I asked my husband, "What if I hadn't opened the folder?"

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

I just read an article about The Molly McGuires! It's amazing what the Irish went through as immigrants!