Background

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

SPEEDING GRANDMA


"GRANDMA CLOCKED AT 102 MPH" was the headline on my MSN home page.


WHY is it that every time women of a certain age are arrested newspaper articles are always prefaced by "GRANDMA"? I have seen this over and over again in newspapers: women being identified as "grandmas". I have NEVER seen a similar headline about GRANDPAS!

What could being a grandmother have to do with her speeding? NOTHING. She's 72 years old and she was late for a hair appointment. Would there have been a feature if it had been a 72-year-old grandfather? OF COURSE NOT!

Who cares if offenders are grandmothers? Does it make the offense worse because they are grandmothers?

It's a good thing I'm not a grandmother or my latest traffic offense might have been front-page news!

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Sounds like it should be a song by Jan & Dean or the Beach Boys!