Background

Saturday, July 14, 2012

BUTTERFLY CLUTCH


FILE UNDER: WHAT I LEARNED NEW TODAY:

Pinning a pin onto a red hat, I asked, "What do you call these things that are put on the back?"

Les said, "Look it up."

I learned that they are called "butterfly clutch", "military clutch", "pin catch", and "pin back".

The sharp point of a pin is called a "stem". The clutch locks into place when it covers a stem.

The back of the pin has a stem attached and when the clutch is squeezed and pulled up from the stem, the pin is released from the clutch.

I already knew what an AGLET is, and was able to supply the word to someone doing a crossword puzzle!

AGLET: the sheath over the end of a shoelace or ribbon; also, the ornamental cord or braid on the shoulders of uniforms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because of crossword puzzles, I actually know aglet!