Background

Thursday, July 19, 2012

TOW-HEAD


Gerald hates the term "tow-head". My friend Kit showed me pictures of himself and his brothers and cousin and I said, "Oh, I didn't know you were a tow-head!" I learned that Kit also dislikes the term "tow-head"! I guess I'll never use the term again! Kit said he was also called "Cotton-Top" when he was a boy. Gerald escaped that nickname.

I have always thought the term "tow-head" was cute and affectionate, but if I were called a tow-head, I might have a different opinion.

"Tow-head" is an American term. It's derived from the process of turning flax into thread. The fibers from that process are called tow; as the fibers have a blonde, whitish appearance, terms for people with hair resembling that are called tow-heads and flaxen-haired. I've always thought "flaxen-haired" to be poetic.

I told Gerald and Kit I would call them flaxen-haired!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's about time tow-heads get some respect; I AM flaxen-haired!